Friday, October 5, 2012

Feel 'Em Up

Tonight, my heart is aching.  Nearly a year ago, a dear sweet and spunky friend lost her battle against a merciless foe-- breast cancer.  It just.kept.coming.   Another friend finished her chemo not long after that, and every time I see her post something or I think of her smiling face and her gorgeous hair growing back-- it makes me smile, happy for her. And yet it's bittersweet.

Yeah, yeah, October is this. And that. I don't generally participate in awareness months (ironic considering what I used to do for a living), but this is important. TOO MANY WOMEN are having to fight this battle!  Every day it's someone else. Every day it's a positive biopsy or a lump or a battle lost.

Feel those breasts of yours. If you love a woman, remind her to do self exams. Know what is normal for your body, and get regular exams and know what to look for.

Support research into new treatments, support women who are going through this fight.

There are so many awareness ribbons out there, so many different colors to remember and think about-- but PINK is the color for October.  Pink is for our Mamas (yes, mine too).  Pink is for our sisters, if we have them-- I know a trio of sisters who has been through absolute hell.  Pink is for our best friends, our work friends, our always-there friends.  Pink is for our daughters, those we want to see grow up, and those who deserve to live long, happy and healthy lives.

And Pink is for ourselves.

I miss her every day.  Lawwwwsss, how I miss her.




1 comment:

  1. I am so tired of hearing that this is "an old woman's disease ". It is not. I love you and I hope that neither one of us ever goes through this ourselves. But, if God forbid we do, I will be there with you every step of the way.

    ReplyDelete