Friday, December 20, 2013

New Life Rules



Time to write again, as there is another long "away" in our future. Between some work stress and some major life changes, it's a good time to reflect on what I want life to mean to me and what I expect from myself going forward.

This list is not conclusive and it's certainly going to need some additions, but it's what's been in my heart.


  • It's ok to ask for help when I need it.
  • Pray without ceasing.
  • If my heart is feeling sore, I need to state the truth, at least to myself.
  • Telling myself to "buck up" is not helpful.
  • Reaching outside my comfort zone, however, can be a good thing.
  • Even when things are dark, if I am simply trying to do the right thing and reflect God and goodness in my life, it does not go unnoticed.  I don't always hear about it, but it is not unnoticed.
Most importantly:

  • If I wouldn't give certain "advice" to a girlfriend, why do I think it's OK to give it to myself?
  • I matter.

Ultimately, the year ahead will have dark and light and strength and weakness - there will be times of sorrow and times of great joy.  I'm fortunate that this is just an "away" and not an "away and in danger".  I have a dear friend who has told me to take this year, search inside for the person I want to be and the future I want to share with my G, and build the foundation we'll need.  She, as always, has good advice.

Join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment