Tuesday, January 7, 2014

101 in 1001

Day Zero came up with the neatest Life List challenge, and I've been seeing it all over the place today.  Here, on a blog I'm happy to have found recently, and here, on my friend's blog where she is finding her strengths and focus. It's all over Twitter.

So what's the deal?

The challenge is to name and complete 101 tasks in 1001 days, or about 2.75 years. From the original website, the criteria is thus:

the criteria: Tasks must be specific (i.e., no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (i.e., represent some amount of work on my part).
why 1001 days?: Many people have created lists in the past – frequently simple goals such as new year’s resolutions. The key to beating procrastination is to set a deadline that is realistic. 1001 Days (about 2.75 years) is a better period of time than a year, because it allows you several seasons to complete the tasks, which is better for organizing and timing some tasks such as overseas trips or outdoor activities.
Looking up some dates, if I start my 101 tonight, I have until September 30, 2016 to do them all.  I already have a written "Life List" that incorporates some Bucket List ideas and some frivolous but fun living-in-the-now kinds of sensibilities.  The 101 fits right in, and allows me to check in more often with smaller, bite-sized tasks as well.

After I got most of these typed up, I realized I should have organized them somehow. Work, writing, personal, home, family, friends. Honestly, coming up with 101 goals was more difficult than I would have expected!

1.  Full emergency fund.
2.  New Job.
3.  Pay for Thirty One Conference with my Thirty-One business.
4.  Choose a small accent chair for the living room.
5.  Redesign my blog.
6.  Fully participate in "Blogging Made Bite-Sized".
7.  Paint the master bathroom.
8.  Mark a state off my Life List.
9.  Add 10 new things to my Life List.
10. Go to spin class 3 times.
11.  Finish Jewel Park, the book I've been writing.
12.  Volunteer for 3 different organizations.
13.  Run or run/walk a 5k.
14.  Bake bread.
15.  Get my hearing examined and aids adjusted if needed.
16.  Full physical.
17.  Make all the Christmas cards we give out that year.
18.  Make a wreath for the front door.
19.  Learn to knit.
20.  50 followers on Passages.
21.  200 Twitter followers.
22.  Visit my friend in Kentucky.
23.  Visit my friend in Louisiana and take Little G.
24.  Redo one bathroom.
25.  Go one week without eating out at all.

26.  Read all of Psalms.
27.  Read all of Proverbs.
28.  Leave a 100% tip.
29.  Take a yoga class.
30.  Movie theater fun - double feature, one day.  (Might stretch to three!)
31.  Get my passport.
32.  Test drive a car I have absolutely no intention to buy.
33.  Go three months without buying a single book, reading only the ones I already own.
34.  Totally clean out and reorganize my craft dresser.
35.  Jammie day.  Don't get dressed for anything.
36.  Write five book reviews for Amazon and blog.
37.  Write five product reviews for Amazon and blog.
38.  Find and plant a rose bush for the front of the house.
39.  Update my resume.
40.  Publish Jewel Park as an ebook.
41.  Re-learn how to crochet.
42.  Take someone out to dinner who needs a break.
43.  Fix nicks and scratches on bedroom furniture.
44.  Go through closet and get rid of things that are unloved or unlovely.
45.  Let Little G plan out a day and follow her ideas.
46.  Visit Big G in KS again.
47.  Figure out how to style this short hair.
48.  Recarpet smaller bedrooms.
49.  Paint or replace front door.
50.  Reorganize or reframe all framed photos on family wall.

51.  Hold three community classes at work. (If I have a new job, that can translate to        three community classes at the library or elsewhere.)
52.  Throw out or donate 50 of my items.
53.  Have hair professionally colored.
54.  Try contacts again.
55.  Help Big G monthly.
56.  Go for a month only buying the consumable necessities (food, gas, etc). Trades allowed.
57.  Do a web-free day.
58.  Make a list of 20 classic movies to watch.
59.  Watch the 20 classic movies.
60.  Read at least one "good for me" book off my shelves.
61.  One in, One out rule for clothing.
62.  Reorganize and clean out hall closet.
63.  Reorganize, clean out, and deep clean pantry.
64.  Buy a classic interview suit.
65.  Volunteer with an election.
66.  New plates for the kitchen.
67.  Matching silverware.
68.  Go to a karaoke bar.  Sing with a group.
69.  Do freezer meals for a week.  Try Dream Dinners. :)
70.  Replace the large posters in the living room.
71.  Hardware on the kitchen cabinets/drawers.
72.  Do a technology-free day.
73.  New chairs for the dining room.
74.  Reupholster the shoe bench.
75.  Send 365 photos to my Soldier.

76.  Blog updates every six months on this project.
77.  Set up play area in Big G's room.
78.  Learn to heat-emboss cards.
79.  Fix grout in house tile.
80.  Hold 10 Thirty One parties.
81.  See a live football game. (Bonus if it's KState)
82.  Make 20 cards to donate.
83.  Hang ladybug houses in the backyard.
84.  52 trash days.
85.  Fresh start in budget.
86.  Print another copy of "52" for the Franks'.
87.  Clean and reorganize office.
88.  Sort through books - return "borrows" and donate those I won't ever read.
89.  Use a blogging/editorial calendar.
90.  Meal plan for one month.  (Hopefully longer but one month seems doable.)
91.  Caulk kitchen sink.
92.  Choose "My One Word".
93.  Do a 52-trash-day series for blog. Perhaps incorporate the weekly savings plan.
94.  Participate in four blog linkups.
95.  Find a face regimen that works for me.
96.  Monthly "My One Word" posts.
97.  Better organize my 101 in 1001 so it makes better sense and I can track it easier.
98.  Do at least one vendor event for Thirty One.
99.  Do a fundraiser for Thirty One.
100.Learn to use all the circuit machines at the gym.

101.  Go through and write a blog post about this project after the end date - list strengths, weaknesses, and end results.

No comments:

Post a Comment