Sunday, July 10, 2011

Love is a Battlefield




Army wives all seem to share the same story. Not only do we know without a doubt that Murphy (and his horrible law) will visit as soon as our Soldier leaves, but the time leading up to field duty or deployment will be filled with... Arguing. Nitpicking. Tension. Pushing them away a little, or being pushed, so it (supposedly) won't hurt so much when they're gone.

It doesn't work, of course. The house is still just as empty and Murphy still visits. Most spouses realize what is happening and find a way to calm the stress and savor the sweet.

The thing is, the same thing is happening as our first little bird gets ready to fledge, or leave the nest. Last week it seemed Big G and I could do nothing but annoy each other. We were short with each other and even seemed to be looking for reasons to argue.

This unconscious and unfortunate pushing-away made for some tense afternoons. The last thing I'd want to do is have her leave while we are on less than happy terms.

Thankfully, because of countless field rotations and our deployments (and a year where he was in Korea), my G and I figured out what was going on before it got really bad. I apologized to her, and she looked a bit baffled and apologized too.

My hope is that we have more of the positive moments, where we share a giggle or a meeting of the minds. Last night's super-s'mores were a hilarious and tension-relieving mess. Our car-buying excursions have been almost fun because we've remembered that we like each other.

Love can be a battlefield-- but it doesn't always have to be.

PS If you click on the image, it will take you to a page with the song lyrics. I have always enjoyed the song, but never read the lyrics just on their own-- I think they are amazing and they fit what a lot of us have gone through as "the day". Let me know what you think!

1 comment:

  1. You know I love me some lyrics. It is so true. Even young kids seem to know that pushing away will make it easier for a moment to say good-bye. MANY hugs!

    BTW, one day....

    ReplyDelete