Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Tuesday's Ten: Books I Have Never Actually Read

There are many "must-read" books that I have never actually gotten all the way through.  Many of them were assigned in school, so I know the basic idea, but I got very good, very young, at figuring out what was needed without actually, erm, READING the book.  I spent some serious time on Goodreads today, filling in books I would like to read, and updating my "oh gosh I couldn't even finish this book" shelf.

Just for fun, here are ten books I'm rather embarrassed to not have read:

1.  1984.  As an adult, I'd like to try this one again.  But in a high school class where we read book after depressing, dark, horrible book-- I couldn't do it.

2.  Moby Dick.  We were supposed to have finished it.  Mmm...No.

3.  The Bible.  I will admit I read this more as a collection of stories or poems or truths than a full-fledged, all-the-way-through book.

4.  Heart of Darkness.  This was just awful.  See above about the dark books.  I wonder sometimes if that teacher had issues with depression?

5.  The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  This one may stun more of my friends than the Bible.  What can I say?  I have interesting friends.

6.  The Shining.  It's been on my list for a long time.  I just have never picked it up.

7.  Gone With the Wind.

8. Brave New World.  Like 1984, it is possible to know quite a lot about a book without actually ever READING it.

9.  Uncle Tom's Cabin.  How is it I've never read this?

10.  Catch-22.  Any book that creates a phrase and sums up a situation with its title deserves to be at least skimmed...but, no. Not yet.

So what's on your list?


My favorite bookstore.





No comments:

Post a Comment