Friday, August 12, 2011

Five Questions: New Family, New Friend




A couple of years ago, we got to attend a family wedding. The location was beautiful, the company was wonderful-- and the bride, so full of joy no one could see her without smiling. The happy groom was one of my husband's cousins, and he seemed to be floating about two feet above the ground.

Cindy is new to the military life, but I've gotten to know her a little bit (through the wonders of Facebook) and vicariously enjoy their little son "Elf" (also through Facebook, although if she wants to visit Killeen I'd LOVE to babysit). She's already dealt with one quick "Honey I'm home and by the way I have to go soon and won't be back for a little while love you mwah" heart-wrenching conversation.

Air Force life is a bit different from Army life, but the basic tenets are the same-- these men and women sign up for the unknown, the unthinkable, and sometimes the unbearable. They put their lives on the line for us, the average person. Their spouses often are the ones who make that sacrifice possible by offering their strength, humor and joy.

Here are Cindy's 5:


1. What are five things you know now about military life that you wish someone had told you?


a) Downsize! Go through your closet & make Goodwill/Salvation Army piles more often; it's so much easier to move when you don't have as much crap!

b) 9 times out of 10, gas on base is cheaper & worth the drive. (=

c) I really wish someone would come up with an updated map of the bases I've been to...

d) "Be ready to go within 72 hours" can mean anything from "be ready now" to "be ready 5 days from now"... same with when your airman/soldier/marine/seaman is supposed to come home...

e) NEVER leave home without your keys and ID!!

2. What is the most important thing you'd like to tell new spouses?

Take advantage of the resources offered- from the commissary to counseling, medical & dental services, everything! Although on-base doctors are NOT always the best!!

3. What do you love the most? Besides the benefits??

LOL I love meeting new people & seeing new places!

4. What do you find the hardest?

Having to choose where to spend holidays... With my parents divorced, when we get a chance to come home it's always a struggle to decide which family we're going to see first, if at all.

5. Tell me a story that sums up military life for you.

My mom married my step-dad when I was seven. He was a reservist until 1998 so I didn't have a military childhood as much as a military adolescence since I had the luxury of staying in south Florida for 11 years after my parents' divorce sent us there from New York. Then again, I got very spoiled with our family getting sent to Randolph AFB as our first duty station, because the base was easy to navigate and San Antonio is a wonderful, convenient city. Now that I'm a military wife, I'm equally blessed that our first assignment is still stateside. My husband's job limits the places we can get sent, only one of which-- where we are now-- is in the continental US!! I love being an Air Force wife, and I think God's worked me into this lifestyle slowly and easily enough that when the time comes for us to get sent to Alaska or Japan or Germany, I'll be ready to go with a smile to take on the next adventure!!


Thank you, Cindy.

No comments:

Post a Comment