Sunday, August 14, 2011




Over the last few months, I have been hearing "no" about quite a few things.

No, it's not time for me to go back and get my Masters' Degree. (The program I want is just WAY too expensive right now.)

No, I'm not going to get that call about an amazing opportunity.

No, the email isn't going to come.

No, no no...

Last month, I was fortunate enough to be able to participate in a Bible study with a former coworker, and we discussed how sometimes the answer we get is "no" when what we want is a "yes".

She turned to another of the participants, who had heard "no" but was at peace with it, and asked "When did you get to the point where a 'no was a no, and a no was okay'?"

It sounded like a faith-based Dr. Seuss. But what the heck-- I learned a lot from Dr. Seuss and other poems that reaffirm faith and ideals in an easy-to-read way.

So here goes--

A no is a no
And a “no,” is okay.
He will show me His “yes”
In His time & His way.

For although I don’t see it
And although I can’t know
His timing is perfect
And the wait helps me grow.

When my life is a desert
And my dreams, dry as dust.
His plans are made present
And his mercies are just.

So instead of down-gazing
In grief, fury or fear
I'll focus on His love
His grace drawing me near.

So a No is a No
Or a “maybe” or “wait”.
His love is always a “yes” though,
And his blessings are great.





And in the meantime, I'll wait for His "yes". Does anyone else have a story of a "no" you've been told? Or a "yes" that ended up being surprising and timely?

No comments:

Post a Comment